The Next Hike

Check here every week for details on the next Trekker hike!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Next Hike

The next hike will be on Saturday, 25th June.


We meet at the Ballpark at Gillies Bay a 10:00am.


My photo was one I took earlier this month while hiking along Mouat Creek. Dragonflies are starting to become more abundant in early summer and I think this one was quite recently hatched from the aquatic nymph stage. It's not often we get to have such a closeup look at these highly active insects, but I think the photo shows rather well just how intricate are the colour patterns on the long abdomen. I'm fairly certain this is a female of the Darner group of dragonflies, but the actual species is harder to determine. My tentative ID is the very common California Darner.


JD.



A Darner Dragonfly, probably the quite common California Darner, Rhionaeschna californica

No comments:

Post a Comment