The Next Hike

Check here every week for details on the next Trekker hike!

Friday, April 13, 2012

Next Hike

The next hike will be on Saturday, 13th April.
We meet at the Ballpark in Gillies Bay at 10:00am.

The last couple of weeks I've been busy over on the beaches of east Vancouver Island trying to count and record banded geese, often under far from pleasant weather conditions. In between my beach sessions I try to explore a few off the beaten track places that interest me.  One pleasant walk was along the densely wooded banks of French Creek in Parksville.  The forest floor was almost completely covered by a rich growth of shield fern, but here and there the vivid white flowers of the White Wake-robin brightened the scene.  This species, Trillium grandiflorum, is found both in western North America and over much of the eastern part of the continent from Canada down into the southern states.  I have never seen a specimen growing wild on Texada even though it is quite common in suitable forest areas on Vancouver Island.  In my photo the three leaflets still carry raindrops from a brief shower that made me shelter for a few minutes under a massive old growth red cedar.  
JD.

    
Fresh raindrops on a Trillium close by the banks of French Creek in Parksville, Vancouver Island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment