The Next Hike

Check here every week for details on the next Trekker hike!

Friday, June 20, 2014

Next Hike

The next hike will be on Saturday, 21st June.
We meet at the Ballpark in Gillies Bay at 10:00am.

Last week we hiked from a road junction part-way down Cook Bay Road south and east to a large beaver swamp not very far from Angel Lake. The weather was a little cooler than one would expect in early June, but proved to be reasonably comfortable as the morning was spent gaining quite a lot of elevation along the older logging road.

My photo this week is of Dragonfly Lake, a fairly large body of water that feeds Russ Creek on the east side of Texada. This is the creek that is crossed by a very high loggers bridge at the White Pine forestry test area. In the foreground of my picture you can see a few of the large round waterlily leaves and it was not far from the spot where I got a very nice photo of one of the large bright yellow flowers.

I think this lake at the north end might be a pleasant place for a swim as the lake is deep and free from sunken logs there, but I've not given it a try yet. The water was certainly clear and warm the day of the hike.
JD.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I'm from Powell River and am looking to do some hiking on Texada. I've heard a lot about Stromberg falls, but don't know how to find it? I suspect it is on the on road to Shingle Beach? GPS coords would be ideal, but any directions would be appreciated. Also info on Mt Pocahantus or anywhere else a little off the beaten path would be appreciated.
    Please email me at: drakmar_bestil@hotmail.com

    Thank you,
    Robert Devlin.

    ReplyDelete