The Next Hike

Check here every week for details on the next Trekker hike!

Friday, July 4, 2014

Next Hike from Van Anda

The next hike will be on Saturday, 5th July.
We meet this time at the Legion parking area in Van Anda at 10:00am

This hike will be somewhat shorter than usual as the new Clarence Wood room is being opened to visitors for the first time at the Van Anda Heritage Society Museum in the afternoon. This will also be a chance for hikers to view the changes to the Van Anda museum now that the original Texada Museum in Blubber Bay has closed. There will be refreshments for visitors.

I remember when I was a boy I visited museums all over the British Isles and it was always an exciting time for me when I could search out any museums in the areas we visited on summer vacations. My interests changed over the years and the history of the Roman colony of Britannia attracted me early on, all those military forts and the imperial roads were fun. Then I got interested in fossils and geology and museums were great places to go to see examples of rocks, minerals and ancient forms of life. We lived close enough to London and I do believe the city in those days had some of the finest museums in the world and I was able to visit some of them over and over again.

Last week we hiked to Mouat Point and sat overlooking the sea for lunch. No marine mammals around this time, but the marine traffic was quite interesting. My photo is of one of the big freight barges heading for Alaska and you can see the great variety of items that show up in a telephoto shot.
JD.

No comments:

Post a Comment