John Dove has kindly volunteered to lead an additional summer hike, to South Texada Island including Anderson Bay and Mount Dick. In 2015 the Trekkers did this area and attempted to hike up Mount Dick. The trailhead at that time was not located so an alternative hike was taken with a grand view point to the east. Since then the trailhead location has been found, the trail checked out and for 2016 the plan is to repeat some of the beautiful areas covered in 2015, PLUS new options, and a hike up Mount Dick! (Although Mount Dick sits in the shadow of Mount Shepherd, it offers spectacular views as well as a much shorter, and very scenic forest trail to the peak.)
• A minimum of two - 4x4 high clearance vehicles.
• Meeting location: 8:00am at the Gillies Bay Ball Field
• Duration will be a long day. Driving time to Anderson Bay is over 1-1/2 hours (depending on potholes and rough 4x4 portions). Due to unforeseen circumstances the hike may be longer than expected so specific dinner meal time plans should be avoided. Best to plan to be back early evening.
• This will not be an overly strenuous hike, but it will be long day. The longest hike will be up Mount Dick in the morning – aprox 2+ hours return, up a forest trail, some sections are quite steep. We will also be walking short trails in South Texada Park that reach the coastline to the south of Anderson Bay.
• Chain saw and gas - we may need a chain saw to clear the road.
Tues-Wed-Thur August 16,17,18
Tues-Wed-Thur August 23,24,25
Tues-Wed-Thur August 30, 31, September 1
Tues-Wed-Thur Sept 6,7,8
At this point Vehicles and Driver availability will determine the dates.
Solicit and be nice to 4x4 drivers so we can go!
Please let me know asap what dates you are available
Please let me know asap what dates you are available to drive and how many PASSENGER seat belts you have.
Dates you can come, 4x4Drivers Dates can drive
For specific hike/trail conditions and expectations,
John Dove — email@example.com