The Next Hike

Check here every week for details on the next Trekker hike!

Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Next Hike

The next hike will be on Saturday, 13th January.
We meet at the Ballpark in Gillies Bay at 10:00am.

Earlier this week my ophthalmologist gave me permission to return to my normal activities and I'm looking forward to getting back to hiking again on Saturday. I took this photo of one of our common woodpeckers a couple of days ago.  There are actually two species that look to be almost identical, but one is quite a bit smaller than the other.  This is a female Hairy Woodpecker and is larger and has a longer beak than it's cousin the Downy Woodpecker. Both species tend to be quite quiet little birds and when searching for insects on tree bark they tap quite gently compared with the much more noisy larger species.  
JD.
 
A Hairy Woodpecker near Sandbanks, much too busy finding food in the tree bark to notice me watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment